Thursday, May 31, 2007

Assignment #1

11Post Secret was created by Frank Warren in 2005. The blog is updated every Sunday with individually created anonymous postcard confessions sent from people all over the world. The confessions range from inspiring, to thought provoking, to worrisome, to disturbing.

I find Post Secret incredibly interesting. I look forward to Frank updating his blog with new secrets, in fact, I check Post Secret religiously every week. I think Post Secret is fascinating because a diverse, worldwide group of people are connected through one man’s creation. People all over send in their secrets, read other people’s secrets, and are able to send in email comments about the secrets they read.

More than anything, I feel honored that I am able to hear or I guess in this case read, people’s deepest, darkest secrets. Sometimes I read a secret that I share and it is comforting to know that other people have the same secret. Other secrets make me worry about the person behind them. Many confessions are depressing and suicidal. Frank responds to these with a constant post at the bottom of his blog for the National Hopeline Network suicide hotline. People send in emails, many of which Frank posts on the blog, which thank him and Post Secret for inspiring to seek help.

Readers also email Frank with their responses (which are often posted) and Frank himself often responds to particular secrets. This blog almost serves as its own support system and therapy for readers and postcard creators. As crazy as this sounds, this blog is important to me not only for entertainment value, but also because it truly does help people and make a difference in the world.

I also find this blog interesting because three books have been published (the fourth will be released in October) with Post Secret postcards due to the site’s popularity. I have read all three books and been an avid Post Secret blog reader since 2006 and I find it fascinating that a blog can transform across mediums into print. I think it is a sign of true success and the emergence of convergence.

1 Comments:

At June 3, 2007 at 6:13 PM , Blogger jrichard said...

Very good post. Good use of personal and external voice.

The only thing that might have added some flavor would have been any specific examples that you find particularly compelling.

And have you ever sent in a secret? Why or why not?

Good start.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home